<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 23, 2004

Things to do on a day off

Yesterday I decided to take a day off from studying and do absolutely nothing at all about schoolwork. So I spend a day entirely like I wanted to. And this is my account of things to do on a day off:
First of all I finished reading 'Small Gods' by Terry Pratchett, which is a wonderful book. It contains the usual crazy Pratchett humour, but it's also a fabulous story about religion and gods and the (main) characters are great. And after reading the book I finally understand where the band 'Omnia' got their name from. (I think...) After having finished 'Small Gods' I started reading in 'The Eye of the World', the first book in 'The Wheel of Time' series by Robert Jordan. Primarily because people on every fantasy forum I've ever visited told me to go and read Jordan. So here I am ... reading Jordan.

Besides reading I also watched television. My brother finally was able to put subtitles on the movie 'Goodbye Lenin', so I watched it yesterday morning. Normally I don't need subtitles, but my east-german really isn't good enough to follow everything. I didn't know anything about the movie, except that everyone thought it was a good movie. So 'Goodbye Lenin' really was a surprise to me, and a pleasent surprise as such! It's a small, unique and beautiful movie full of drama and humour and I would like to recommend it to everyone who doesn't just watch Hollywood action movies. Europeans do know how to make movies sometimes!
I also watched the rugby match between Ireland and Wales yesterday. Somehow I really like rugby, and I think watching rugby is way more interesting than watching any other sports, including soccer. I mean, during the singing of the anthems (before the match) alone there's more spirit, atmosphere and conviction than during an entire soccer match by the Dutch soccerteam! Too bad they don't pay any attention to rugby in the Dutch media, because people in other sports could learn a lot from most of the rugby players. Respect!

Well, what else?? ...... Oh, I also downloaded lots of music yesterday, because the computer was downloading with 75 kb/s. Which is extremely fast considering it normally downloads with about 10 kb/s, so I took advantage of it, because I didn't know how long it would last. So now I'm listening to 'Feels Like Home' and 'Come Away With Me' by Norah Jones, 'Devil's Advocate' by Dave Clarke, 'Psyence Fiction' by Unkle, 'Talkie Walkie' by Air and watching some Alias-episodes that haven't been shown on the dutch television yet.
So I guess you could say my day has been productive any way.

"Gods?" said Xeno. "We don't bother with gods. Huh. Relics of an outmoded belief system, gods."
There was a rumble of thunder from the clear evening sky.
"Except for Blind Io the Thunder God," Xeno went on, his tone hardly changing.
Lightning flashed across the sky.
"And Cubal the Fire God," said Xeno.
A gust of wind rattled the windows.
"Flatulus the God of the Winds, he's all right too," said Xeno.

(Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home