<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 08, 2004

Van Helsing

I went to see Van Helsing Wednesday morning, together with my brother and a friend of his. I didn’t have very high expectations because I knew Van Helsing was directed by Stephen Sommers, the same guy who directed The Mummy and The Mummy Returns. And although those movies were a lot of fun to watch, I also found them kind of corny at times. But Stephen Sommers managed to surprise me with Van Helsing.

Hugh Jackman is perfectly cast as Van Helsing and I think I speak for the major part of the women on the planet when I say it’s always a pleasure to watch him. And with Kate Beckinsale, the men have someone to watch as well. Even I can’t deny she’s a beautiful woman who kicks ass in this movie. David Wenham (the actor who plays Faramir in Lord of the Rings) plays Carl, the funny sidekick of Van Helsing. Just about all the comical moments are for his account and if you compare this role to that of Faramir, you can see what a diverse actor he really is. Then, the “bad”-guys. There are quit a few in Van Helsing. First of all we have Count Dracula himself, played by Richard Roxburgh who also played the badguy in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Although you probably won’t recognize him with all the make-up and the wig. In my opinion he’s an excellent Dracula. Sometimes a bit over-the-top, but I just feel that’s how Dracula should be played. The same goes for his three beautiful brides, Aleera, Verona and Marishka. Other icons that also appear in Van Helsing are Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein’s Monster and the Wolfman. I can’t say anything further about these characters, because that would mean major spoilers. Over all, all the actors give decent performances.

The story of Van Helsing isn’t that great, but a good story isn’t really important in these kind of movies. The atmosphere is amazing though, dark and gothic, which is exactly my style. If you like action and special effects, this is definitely your kind of movie. As long as you only expect two hours of entertainment and non-stop action, you won’t be disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home