<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

"To wives and sweethearts. May they never meet."

Haven't really done anything worth mentioning, so I'll just post my thoughts on some of the movies I've watched recently.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World directed by Peter Weir. A beautiful movie with stunning action sequences, a great story, truly interesting and sympathetic characters and talented actors. I love (epic) historical movies. Or better to say, I just love historical drama and adventure, especially if there are ships and oceans involved. The entire cast was phenomenal, but I particularly liked Paul Bettany’s performance as Dr. Stephen Martin. The soundtrack is absolutely beautiful as well. It’s too bad for all of them that they were up against LotR: Return of the King at the Oscars, because I’m sure they would have won otherwise. This supposedly is a “guy” film, but I didn’t see it… I really don’t mind watching a bunch of good looking men on a boat. Could be me, I don’t know. :) I just didn’t think it was a particularly male film, i.e. it is not action-based. The real plot is the relations of the people aboard, the friendships, trials and ship life. It was just my kind of movie; the costumes, the scenery, the realistic feel to battle scenes and life aboard a British naval ship in 1805. Wonderful! I haven’t read any of the books this movie is based upon yet. But I’m quit sure I will be reading the first book of the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O’Brian very, very soon. *sigh*

Thirteen: “At the edge of adolescence, Tracy is a smart straight-A student, if not a little naïve. When she befriends Evie, the most popular and beautiful girl in school, Evie leads Tracy down a path of sex, drugs and petty crime. As Tracy transforms herself and her identity, her world becomes a boiling, emotional cauldron fuelled by new tensions between her and her mother--as well as, teachers and old friends.” I don’t know why exactly but this movie didn’t really grasp me. Probably because I couldn’t really relate to the two girls, because they are nothing like how I was as a teenage girl. The movie is pretty good though, and so are the actors. It’s amazing that this movie is partially autobiographical about Nikki Reed’s (she plays Evie, but in real life she was Tracy) rebellious life as a thirteen year old.

Russian Ark: A bit of a weird movie about Russian history, I must say. I didn’t quit get it, I suppose. Though it is a beautiful movie and the journey through the Hermitage museum in Saint Petersburg is fascinating to watch. The movie consists of one single take, which makes it even more amazing. It makes you wonder about the incredible amount of planning and rehearsing that must have exceeded the shooting process. And I really wonder how many times they had to shoot this before they came up with this perfect result.

I’ll leave you with ‘The Slightly Skewed Recaps’ of the first and second Harry Potter movie. Everyone (or just about everyone) knows the general plot of Harry Potter, but now take a look at the events of each film from a slightly skewed Harry – Hermione shippers perspective. It’s a wonderful parody and it’s truly hilarious! You can find ‘The Philosopher’s Stone’ recaps here and 'The Chamber of Secrets’ recaps here. I’m already looking forward to the ‘The Slightly Skewed Recaps’ for ‘The Prisoner of Azkaban’. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home