<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body."

I found this reading/book-stick on some random blog while using the ‘next blog’-button and as an enormous book freak I couldn’t resist.

You're stuck inside Farenheit 451, which book do you want to be? (For those of you who haven't read it, the writer posits a society in which people surround themselves with walls of empty, contentless media which keep them from ever having to think or feel. Any books that are found are burned. But booklovers cannot be discouraged that easily. They keep books alive by each committing one or more books to memory in entirety. So long as they live, no society is powerful enough to destroy the books that live inside them. If you lived in such a society, which book or books would you choose to become?)
I find this a rather difficult question, because I’d want to save a book that means something. But in a sense, all books mean something to someone. For myself (being selfish here), I would save Pride & Prejudice, because it’s a book that gives us (read: us=women) hope there may actually be a decent man for us out there somewhere. It sounds cheesy, but this book gives me hope.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Sure! Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. *sigh* When I think about it, Jane Austen has made up several very interesting characters, because there’s also Colonel Brandon from Sense and Sensibility and Mr. Knightley from Emma. I was probably born in the wrong era or something. But the most intriguing character ever -in my humble opinion- is Severus Snape from the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling. I’m quit obsessed with the Snape character actually, but as a regular visitor of this blog you’ve probably already noticed. And of course it also helps that the characters I’ve mentioned are all played by very handsome men in the respective movies or series. Jeremy Northam. Colin Firth. Alan Rickman. Woei!

Sorry, I got a bit carried away...

This is going to be the new Darcy in the upcoming movie by the way. He hasn’t read the book. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

The last book you bought is:
Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel by Michael Gerber. It’s a fascinating, but at the same time extremely dumb and silly parody of Harry Potter. The main characters are very twisted versions of Harry and co. and that’s what makes it incredibly funny to read. And the fact that students are dying by the bushes

The last book you read (finished):
Stupid White Men by Michael Moore. An absolute must read. Key-words: interesting, funny, sarcastic, ironic and political.

What are you currently reading?
Maskerade by Terry Pratchett. The more books I read written by Pratchett the more I come to the conclusion he’s an absolute genius. His books are exciting, compelling and have an hilarious profundity. His stories aren’t merely fantasy, but are packed with humour, wit and irony. Furthermore, his books keep getting better and never become monotonous or boring.

Five books you would take to a deserted island.
First of all, Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien of course. That should keep me busy for quit some time and I could read it over and over again. Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen is coming along too, because the story and the characters will always remain enjoyable to read. Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett to have something to laugh about. And two books that have been on my to-read-list for quit some while: The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams and His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
To everyone who enjoys reading and books as much as I do (that’s more than 3 people as far as I know) and finds the questions interesting enough to answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home