<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 22, 2005

Why I want to punch my brother in the face - Part I

Those of you who have been reading this blog for some time have probably come across several posts concerning my brother’s behaviour during the last couple of years. You might have noticed as well that I'm extremely frustrated about it. As I devote many posts to this particular subject I’ve decided that from now on I’m going to post all those stories under the title: “Why I want to punch my brother in the face”. This is part one. Believe me when I say many will follow.

Every trimester my brother has three weeks off during which he has to take two exams. When he doesn’t have to go to university he has the annoying habit to stay in bed until 13.00 in the afternoon and stay up playing games until about three o’clock at night. He does this days on end. My parents don’t like this. He may be a grown-up, but as he still lives at home he’ll have to obey the rules my parents set him, as do I. Last time he had some weeks off my mother told him beforehand that he was supposed to get up earlier and wasn’t allowed to stay in bed until 12 o’clock every single day. He did anyway. So, when my mother confronted him with this afterwards and said he didn’t live up to what they had agreed upon he simply denied there had ever been a discussion with him about the subject. He had never agreed to anything! Were we mad or something! Besides, he didn’t get up late every day! I was there when my mother warned him in advance and he heard her, believe me. I also know for a fact that he got up late 6 of the 7 days in that particular week. What did my parents do? Nothing.

Right now, he has several weeks off again. When my mother told him to get up earlier this time she made sure we all heard it. “Did everybody hear that?” When I replied I had heard it last time as well my brother told me not to be so arrogant. Sure… Him telling me I’m arrogant is starting to amuse me because he only says this when he doesn’t know what else to say. It means I beat him.

Some days ago I had a talk with my mother about the fact that my brother always gets away with everything. They never punish him in anyway. She was angry with me and asked me how I would handle the situation, because it wasn’t easy for her to threaten my brother with him having to pack his bags and kicking him out. I tried to explain to her that he would never act upon that threat, because he knows (as I know) that they would not actually do it. It’s a totally groundless threat. They should start smaller. So I gave her some examples: ‘If you don’t get out of bed on time we will withhold your pocket money. And after that, we will withhold the extra money you get for your studies.’ (Thank you, Dr. Phil!)

She actually listened because the next day she told him those exact rules. I’m curious as to whether this threat is going to change his behaviour. Until now it hasn’t because he’s been getting up extremely late several times this week. Maybe he thinks my parents won’t implement the threats, but I’m going to make sure they do. If they don’t, I’m going to make a lot of racket. I’m sick and tired of him always getting his way without reprimands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home