<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, July 17, 2005

The Half-Blood Prince

As a Harry Potter fan I naturally went to buy HP6 yesterday. I finished it yesterday evening, and I have this incredible need to put down what I think about it. For those of who you that haven’t read or finished it yet, don’t worry, I’m not going to give any spoilers. I’ll be very cryptic, with lots of insert-name-here’s that only people who have read the book will understand.

In advance I had no real ideas about who the title of the book was referring to, but once the name was mentioned in the book it was quite clear to me who the Half-Blood Prince was. So, when this was revealed in the book it didn’t come as a shock to me. I just thought it silly they didn’t think of it themselves. I thought it was obvious, but that’s probably just me. I also have to say I think the cover of the adult edition is very ingenious. It’s everything, but nothing if you haven’t read the book.

Some loose, short comments. I very much liked the way the relationship between Dumbledore and Harry was developing in this book. Dumbledore kicked ass and Harry wasn’t as rebellious anymore as he was in HP5. I would have liked to see more of Luna, Neville, Lupin and Tonks, because I really enjoy their characters. I got my ‘More Snape’-wish, but not the way I had hoped for. There were many new developments in the book that I didn’t see coming. Some were pleasant shocks, others were horrible shocks. There were some questions answered, but many questions remain and new questions have to be answered.

All in all…. my initial reaction during and after reading the book: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
I was shocked, appalled and horrified. I still am as a matter of fact. I knew in advance, just like with HP5, that there was going to be a character death. I did consider this particular person dying in advance, but how little the death in HP5 affected me, this death had a huge impact on me. I actually cried this time. Not just because of who died, but because of the circumstances. The circumstances of the death and the development of a certain character astounded and shocked me. I didn’t see it coming. I truly didn’t see it coming. I still can’t believe it. There’s so many questions left unanswered. If you add everything up that we’ve learned about this character in this book I still feel like there could be a reasonable explanation. But on the other hand… I don’t know what to think about this character anymore. It’s so weird. I have all these mixed feelings. You fall in love with a character, have certain ideas about the character and then she (a.i. Rowling) throws it all back in your face. I still have to get over the shock…

I need book 7. I need to know why, because I can't come to terms with this. It's too shocking. Please let there be an explanation. There are so many questions I hope will be anwered in the next book. So much explaining to do. I hope she does, because else I think this is just a very crude twist. An evil and crude twist. I feel numb. I can't believe she would just turn a character evil like this. I for one, still have too many questions left unanswered and possible explanantions in my head to give up on this character.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home