<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 29, 2005

Pride & Prejudice

As certain people had already noticed, Mr. Darcy is currently occupying a space on the right side of your screen. There actually is a reason why I put him there, besides the fact that I totally adore him. *sigh* As you might have heard or read there’s a new Pride & Prejudice movie coming out with new actors playing those wonderful Jane Austen-characters. After watching the trailer, which you can watch here, I have this very double feeling. I mean, I don’t think it’s going to be an awful movie, but it’s so different from the mini-series!

There’s only one true Mr. Darcy in my mind, and that’s Colin Firth’s Darcy. He portrayed the Darcy I had in my mind to perfection. Unpleasant, but handsome and utterly attractive. I’m not saying Matthew Macfadyen isn’t handsome, but I’m just not feeling him as Darcy the way I did feel Colin Firth’s Darcy from the very first moment he appeared on screen. *swoons* It’s going to be weird to see all these other actors play parts that I know so well from the mini-series. Every character was well cast and I'm not sure that will be the case with the movie as well. I like Keira Knightly, but as far as I can see from the trailer the Elizabeth Bennett she plays is very different from the Elizabeth Bennett from the books and mini-series. Jennifer Ehle was perfect as Elizabeth Bennett and I don’t think Keira Knightly will be able to top that performance. Judi Dench is probably going to be wonderful as Lady Catherine De Bourgh, though. Just think about her role in Shakespeare in Love! *gets Colin Firth flashback*

I just have the impression that they are never going to get it as they did with the mini-series. There’s simply not enough time. I also think that whether you’ll like the movie is going to depend very strongly on whether you’ve seen the mini-series or read the book. I don’t understand why they had to make a movie in the first place when there’s already such an excellent mini-series? It’s never going to be as good or as faithful to the book, so why do it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home